Living in the suburbs and working near downtown Dallas has been a challenge ever since my company moved its offices to Uptown last February.
I’ve ended up relying on the following routine to ensure that I: a) get enough sleep; b) save money by eating a packed lunch vs. dining out; c) get my hours in at work; d) take advantage of the gym and work out everyday; and e) get to see my children before they go to bed. On most days, this schedule works out, but it is a challenge to keep up with on a regular basis:
- 5:00am: I wake up & get dressed
- 5:15am: I head downstairs and fire up my laptop. I then run an Alfred workflow script that launches several applications (Microsoft Outlook, Evernote, etc.). This synchronizes offline data onto my computer for later activity
- 5:20am: eat breakfast
- 5:30am: do an hour’s worth of work that requires me to be online, such as Google Drive documents
- 6:25am: I write a quick love note to J. Then I grab my laptop bag, gym bag & lunch and head out the door
- 6:30am: I drive from west McKinney to the Parker Road DART train station in Plano.
- 6:55am: depending on what time I arrive at the train station, I take the first available RED or ORANGE train to Cityplace DART train station, then connect with the M-Line street car. During my train/street car rides, I work offline with the data downloaded to my laptop @ 5:15am (Microsoft Outlook emails, mostly)
- 7:45am: I arrive at the Dallas office and immediately go to work
- 11:30am: I grab my gym bag, walk across the street to Gold’s Gym Uptown, and change into my workout clothes
- 11:45am: I begin my workout, where activity lasts 1 hour or less. My workouts almost exclusively consist of outdoor runs through various parts of downtown Dallas and/or Uptown
- 12:45am: I cool down & recover from my workout inside Gold’s. This includes fueling, shower, and getting dressed in my work clothes
- 1:15pm: I return to work. I then heat up my lunch and eat it at my desk while processing emails/IMs received during my absence
- 4:45pm: I leave work to catch a bus or street car to my train connection. I have several options, which include steer car to Cityplace DART train station or several bus lines to either Pearl/Arts District or St. Paul DART train stations in downtown Dallas. If possible, I prefer the latter stations because it is easier to get a seat on rush hour trains
- 5:15pm-5:30pm: I take the first available RED or ORANGE train to the Parker Road DART train station
- 5:55pm-6:10pm: I arrive in Plano and commute home
- 6:15pm-6:30pm: I arrive at home in McKinney, eat dinner, and catch up with the family
- 7:00pm: I make my lunch for the following day
- 7:15pm: start the children’s bedtime routines
- 8:30pm: I shower and shave, then lay out my clothes for the following day. I also pack my gym bag with a fresh set of workout clothes
- 9:30pm-10:00pm: start settling down either on the couch or in bed
One thought on “My Dallas Commute”
Thanks for sharing. Been meaning to do this kind of thing for myself, and this was a good swift kick in the [redacted].