My name is Matthew McGarity. I’ve been blogging off and on since 2003, when friends of mine amused by my stories — and the method of telling them — encouraged me to start writing them down to share.
Even before I was blogging, I’ve been on the web. From 2001 to 2010, I hosted my personal website at Spamboy.com. It was an old college nickname which had persisted long beyond my academic years. I thought I was lucky enough to snag the URL when I did. It wasn’t until months later that I discovered Spamboy.com used to redirect you to OlderLadies.com. And with that unknown bit of history came neverending issues with ISPs and corporate web filters blocking me, even though the raciest things ever said on my website involved exploding goats and maybe the occasional nipple ring (more on these subjects later).
In 2010, I decided to revise my personal brand, ditching my Spamboy identity and going with my own name. Spamboy is dead — long live McgarityDotMe!
The Sport of Running
Once upon a time, I served as running coach with Luke’s Locker in Plano. I’ve participated in the program for years, and it has helped me achieve three full marathons and countless half- marathons. It has also led to some amazing friendships since I started running in 2002, and coaching is one of the ways I give back to my community of fellow athletes. Expect to hear a lot about running on this website under the category Running. If you have any running-related questions, give me a shout!
The Zen of Family
Most importantly, I’m also a father and a husband, to my son Zachary and my wife Jenn. There is never a day when I don’t look at the two of them and think they’re the most-amazing creatures on this planet. Jenn is an accomplished visual artist and stay-at-home mother, living the glamorous life of mom’s-days-out, hanging with the girls, and smoking it on Adobe Photoshop. Zachary is a never-ending source of amusement whose mere presence makes everyone around him smile, especially when he dances (ask him to do so, next time you see him. You will not regret it. And Penelope is a never-ending light in my life, filling it with contagious laughter, a sense of adventure, and copious amounts of drawings.
Finally, some of my random interests and talents:
- I am a visual artist, although I am quite out of practice.
- I rarely read fiction, preferring to devour various histories and political science texts.
- I quit social media in 2020, but my wife will still hold her phone up so I can read her Twitter stream.
- I occasionally write a newsletter.
- I am intensely creeped out by insects, especially grasshoppers and others who seem to have little control over their bodies. On the flip side, spiders do not bother me.
- I can cook. And so can you!
- In addition to Spamboy and Matthew, I have countless nicknames, including but not limited to:
- McGarity! (with feeling)
- Blue Monkey Ass
- Matthew McGarrulous
More as I think about it.